Survival Schedule: A day in the life…

I have people ask us all the time, “How do you take care of three babies?”  Well, the response I want to tell people most days is that we are totally winging and flying by the seat of our pants.  But, mostly I think the answer, “We just do…” comes out.  Doesn’t make a lot of sense but trying to have a sense of normalcy in this situation doesn’t make a lot of sense either!  For those of you who may be curious  about the day in a life of a family with multiples here goes…

June 1

1:30 a.m. – Avery wakes hungry.  I take personal time to hold her and feed her.  The other girls are still asleep but sadly once I am finished with Avery I have to wake them up to eat.  If I don’t, we would be feeding babies all hours of the night and day.  All three babies eat, get their diapers changed, rocked again back to sleep.

2:48 a.m. – Bryan and I finally get back to bed and attempt to sleep for a few hours.

4:30 a.m. – Avery up again ready to eat.  They all alternate this behavior, so its not just Av :).  Every is woken up, fed, changed and it takes almost an hour and half from the feeding time to get everyone back to sleep. Two in the swing and one in someone’s arms.

5:30 a.m. – Today, Bryan had to take a daytrip for work, so left the house at 5:30 a.m.  Usually, he makes the water up for the bottles around 7 a.m. before he leaves for work, feeds the dog…

7:30 a.m. – I slept from 6-7:30 a.m. – Woohoo.  Got up and made myself coffee, everyone was awake, fed, changed.

9:00 a.m. – The girls are on their boppy loungers watching Ellen with me.  I think they like the beginning of the show when she dances!  I wonder how we get these girls on her show…Any ideas? haha.

9:45 – 10:00 a.m. – Playtime on the blanket. They are loving this more and more. Their little legs go 90 miles an hour and their arms are like little windmills.

10:30 a.m. – Girls dozed off for about an hour.  I took time to clean parts of the house, did my typical two loads of laundry for the day, ran the dishwasher, cleaned bottles etc.  Bryan usually calls around this time to check in and has me rate on a scale how well they are doing today..So far, today is a 9.  When the girls do not sleep during this time, we try and go for a walk about twice a week.  Pushing three babies uphill is a workout!  Burn baby fat burn!!! (Off of me that is…)

11:00 a.m. – Changed everyone’s diaper, prepared bottles, everyone is starting to cry.  That is intense when they are do it at the same time.  I just have to take a deep breath and go to a different place so I can stay on task and not be too distracted by it.  Everyone eats…AGAIN.  We are going about every 2.5 – 3 hours.

11:30 a.m. – I actually get to eat lunch today before 3 p.m.  Most days its late afternoon before I realize that I have not had anything to eat.  Not healthy I know but as you will notice I don’t have a lot of free time.

11:45 a.m. – Today is bath day.  We bath the girls on every third day and we bath everyone on the same day.  If not, I would be bathing someone everyday!  All girls are in our sitting room with the TV on this time watching Mama Mia. I think they liked the music and dancing.  They get that love for musicals from me!  One at a time, I take them out of their clothes, undo diapers, make sure the water is ready and bath one baby at a time.  I get that one fully sudded up, rinsed and swaddled before they scream because they are cold.  Everyone gets diapered, lotioned up and new clothes.  Back on boppy, I drain the water and start all over again two more times.

1:30 p.m. – Time to eat again. You know the drill by now.

2:15 p.m. – The girls actually look sleepy.  I am working on a nap time.  They sleep for about 30 minutes in morning for a “power nap” haha and now between 1:30 – 2:30.  I am lucky if they stay asleep for an hour.  Everyone gets swaddled.  Two in swing, one in my arms and one by one I put them in their cribs.

4:00 p.m. – Holy cow they slept almost two hours!!! I actually had no clue what to do with myself.  I took a bath and put the monitor by the tub.  That is a first.

4:15 p.m. – Bottles ready, time to eat again. Diapers….etc.

3-5 p.m. – Somewhere around 3-5 I am lucky to have reinforcements come in named Mimi and Nana.  They will come and stay about three hours a day and alternate days which is awesome.  We could not do this without our families!

5:30 p.m. – I am attempting to make dinner.  We have gotten use to eating cold meals because its hard to balance three crying or wanting to be held and eat for yourself at the same time.

6:30 p.m. – Dishes, folding laundry, bottles cleaned

7:00 p.m. – Girls eat again and then we have playtime again on the floor

9:00 p.m. — They are finally relaxed and calm on their boppy loungers.  On Sunday, Monday and Wednesday we are blessed to have Shawna who is a God send.  She comes around 9 p.m. and leaves at 6 a.m. so we can sleep.  She is wonderful with the girls.  What is amazing is that she is our age and has five children (8, 6, 3-year old twins and an 11 month old)! She is superwoman and we have learned a lot from her.

11:00 p.m. – When Shawna is not here, we are rocking and trying to get the girls down and by midnight Bryan and I are trying to go to sleep.  If you notice at the top, we start all over around 1:30 a.m.!

In three days, we go through a box of 84 diapers, almost two cans of formula ($27 per can right now), average two loads of laundry a day and run the dishwasher at least once, 24 bottles and we try not to forget to feed the dog twice a day!  At times, we have to remember to hug each other and say, “How was your day?”  I do this all day and Bryan is at work and then clocks in as soon as he walks in the door at 5:30 p.m.
Our schedule is not for everyone and it may seem really ridged for most.  But, it takes Type A people like ourselves to survive this journey and feel normal.  I am sure when the girls are a little older we can be a little flexible especially when they are sleeping longer!  Raising multiples is not for everyone and I don’t know what life would be like without them.  They are a lot of work but such an amazing blessing.




2 thoughts on “Survival Schedule: A day in the life…”

  1. Okay. My first day back to work and I thought I was busy…….I think I’m more worn out just reading this! Bless your hearts! I know it’s very wonderful
    as well, but just very tiring.

  2. I am so proud of you! I’m headed to Kansas the rest of the week but you’ve been top of mind for weeks and I AM going to continue bugging you about a little visit next week!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s